Curbside trash and recycling pick up will be delayed one day next week due to the Presidents Day holiday on Monday, February 20. Therefore, Monday’s pick up will be made on Tuesday, and Tuesday’s pick up will be made on Wednesday and so on through Saturday (when Friday’s route will be picked up).
There has been an emergency water main break on Boston Rock Road that requires us to shut down water service between 176-193 Boston Rock Road while repairs are made. We will be knocking on doors to notify residents as well. Trash and recycling is being collected before work begins. Repairs will be done and water service restored as soon as possible.
Originally Posted on Mayor Dolan’s Blog:
As cleanup continues from this past storm, I wanted to offer an update as to where the City is currently focusing our cleanup efforts.
First, today we will be removing snow from major parking lots in the downtown business districts to alleviate congestion and open up valuable parking spaces for dining and shopping.
Second, DPW throughout the day yesterday and today have been clearing corners at major intersections as well as opening crosswalks in heavily travelled pedestrian areas throughout all business districts. This work has already been completed at school campuses as well as dozens of intersections that are adjacent to schools.
Third, moving forward DPW will be creating openings through snow banks to allow access from on street parking to the sidewalks in major business districts to improve safety for those going into local businesses.
If you have any questions or problems, please call our Snow Operations Center at 781-665-0142.
The city’s snow removal operation is still ongoing. Equipment will be out all night clearing sidewalks, pushing back corners, doing some snow removal from downtown parking spaces, and picking up/trimming tree branches.
We are expecting another 8 inches of snow between this evening and tomorrow morning, accompanied by winds between 30 and 50 mph. Please use extreme caution during the morning commute. All available equipment will be working in the City of Melrose tonight, but please expect delays and treacherous conditions tomorrow, with the combination of heavy snow and high wind.
- There will be no school in the City of Melrose on Monday.
- Melrose City Hall will open at 12 noon.
- All snow operations will be run out of the Melrose City Yard, 781-665-0142.
- The Melrose Public Library, the Council on Aging, and the Milano Senior Center will be closed.
- Trash will be on a holiday schedule with no pickup on Monday. Monday trash will be picked up on Tuesday, Tuesday trash on Wednesday, etc.
- There will be an on-street parking ban starting at 8 p.m. this evening.
Thank you for your patience during this difficult stretch of weather. If you have any concerns regarding snow removal, contact the Snow Operations Center at 781-665-0142.
The decision has been made to cancel school for Melrose Public Schools tomorrow, Monday Feb. 13th.
Important information regarding the snowstorm:
- Trash will be on a one-day delay this week: No pickup on Monday, one-day delay for the rest of the week.
- An on-street parking ban will take effect citywide at 8 p.m.
- All calls regarding snow issues should go to the Snow Operations Center, 781-665-0142.
- A decision on whether school will be held tomorrow has yet to be made.